Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Parking Spots

I've felt it finally.  The power. It feels so good. You see, the parking at my school can be rather nightmare-ish if you are trying to get a good parking spot. I mean, sure, there are tons of spots available to those who are willing to walk a good 10 or 15 minutes across campus to the parking lots out in the boonies, but who wants to do that--really?

It feels so good though, as I'm walking to my car after class, late morning or mid afternoon. I've been up early enough to  get a good parking spot, so  I deserve the  good ones. I'll be walking, and I'll hear it. The sound of the cars behind me. First I'll hear the car way behind me, going slow enough to be reasonable for the posted speed limit, but definitely faster than the speed limit. Then, the sound will suddenly die down as it creeps up behind me, going slower than I walk, just so it can stay behind me without appearing to scope me out and piss off the other drivers who certainly saw me walking first, and are speeding over to be the first in line behind me. There is soon a triad or more of vultures hovering behind me, waiting for my parking spot. When they realize that my pace isn't slowing, they become impatient and head over to the next bloody carcass to scavenge.

Sometimes, if I see a particularly large line of cars following me, i'll bend down to meticulously tie both my shoes and check my backpack to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Occasionally I'll stop, looking perplexed, pretending I've forgotten where I parked my car (sometimes not actually pretending), and even more occasionally, I'll get into my car and sit there for a few minutes while the line backs up. I'm evil. But I like the power.

It feels good to know that I have all these people willing to do anything for my spot. They will follow me around as long as it takes, so long as they have an opportunity to fight for my spot. Five or six people at a time, waiting in line, just for me. I could do anything I wanted, flip them off, moon them, take an hour, and they would still want my spot.

I guess now I know what it's  like to be a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment